ftp server frustrating

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 20:58:14 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 13:47,  the author Dan Nelson contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: ftp server frustrating:

>In the last episode (May 31), Vizion said:
>> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 13:00,  the author Dan Nelson contributed to the
dialogue on-  Re: ftp server frustrating:
>> >ftp.freebsd.org is actually 2 machines; the one at 62.243.72.50
>> >(ftp.beastie.tdk.net) seems to have the 15 second timeout.  The one at
>> >204.152.184.73 (freebsd.isc.org) doesn't.
>>
>> Ok so we are now agreed that the timing for the machine to which I
>> connected is set at 15 seconds?
>
>I never doubted you :)

You did not - it was someone else who challenged my 15 second figure!

>> dns returns 62.243.72.50 so that machine is the first contact. Surely
>> it is not intended to be aset so that manually logins are virtually
>> impossible.. I do not see anything in your reference to indicate such
>> a goal.
>
>That's because I did not want to make guesses as to why the
>administrator set a 15 second timeout.
>
>> Is there any reason why the timimg on that machine cannot be adjusted
>> so that it is the same as the machine you tested? If it is a minute
>> or more that would be reasonable but 15 seconds is far too short for
>> anyone at the keyboard who is not a keyboard racing greyhound!! :-)
>
>Dunno.  As I said in my first email, you'll probably have to ask the
>administrator of that site.
I did email him and the response seemed a trifle defensive
I am hoping that he can be pursuaded to change the setting -

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.