FreeBSD 5.x forgetting passwords.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue May 31 08:23:56 PDT 2005

> Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 03:53:29PM +0200, Christian Tischler wrote:
> >" Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
> >"
> >" >On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:55:41PM +0200, Christian Tischler wrote:
> >" >" Hi,
> >" >" I am running a FreeBSD 5.1 system and some time ago it startet to
> >" >" "forget" some user passwords.
> >" >" As the system is now running for over 2 years I cannot imagine any
> >" >" reason why this shound be.
> >" >" Any ideas.
> >" >
> >" >root# su user
> >" >user$ passwd
> >" >newpasswd
> >" >newpasswd
> >" >user$ exit
> >" >
> >" >
> >" >
> >" >" Thanks in advance
> >" >"
> >" >" Christian
> >" >" _______________________________________________
> >" >" To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> >" >"freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
> >" >
> >" >
> >" >
> >" And how do I do it from remote via ssh?
> >"
> >
> >you$ sudo su user
> >
> >or, if you in group wheel, perhaps possible following
> >
> >you$ su user
> >
> >if you are not sudoer and you have not other way to take a root
> >privilegies, you can't be other user. And this is right. In other
> >case anybody can be anybody.
> >
> >" thx
> >"
> >" Christian
> >"
> >" PS: that was not quite an answer to my question I think, was it?
> >

> Sorry for the confusion. But the problem is that the server forgets the
> password of the user (in wheel) I want to log in with from remote.
>  The question was not how to become root or any other user to change the
> password. The question was why the box forgets the passwords in the
> first place, and how to stop this.

You may have to give more information.
I have never seen a system "forget" a password unless someone or something
intervened and specifically changed them.    Or, is it possible that you
put an expiration on the passwords?    By default, I believe FreeBSD
sets that at infinite, but you or someone might have changed that while
tinkering around.

////jerry