FreeBSD 5.x forgetting passwords.

Christian Tischler mail at myunix.net
Tue May 31 08:19:57 PDT 2005

Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:

>On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 03:53:29PM +0200, Christian Tischler wrote:
>" Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
>"
>" >On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:55:41PM +0200, Christian Tischler wrote:
>" >" Hi,
>" >" I am running a FreeBSD 5.1 system and some time ago it startet to
>" >" "forget" some user passwords.
>" >" As the system is now running for over 2 years I cannot imagine any
>" >" reason why this shound be.
>" >" Any ideas.
>" >
>" >root# su user
>" >user$ passwd
>" >newpasswd
>" >newpasswd
>" >user$ exit
>" >
>" >
>" >
>" >" Thanks in advance
>" >"
>" >" Christian
>" >" _______________________________________________
>" >" To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>" >"freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
>" >
>" >
>" >
>" And how do I do it from remote via ssh?
>"
>
>you$ sudo su user
>
>or, if you in group wheel, perhaps possible following
>
>you$ su user
>
>if you are not sudoer and you have not other way to take a root
>privilegies, you can't be other user. And this is right. In other
>case anybody can be anybody.
>
>" thx
>"
>" Christian
>"
>" PS: that was not quite an answer to my question I think, was it?

Sorry for the confusion. But the problem is that the server forgets the
password of the user (in wheel) I want to log in with from remote.
 The question was not how to become root or any other user to change the
password. The question was why the box forgets the passwords in the
first place, and how to stop this.

thx

Christian