DVD burners and the Adaptec 2200S RAID controller...

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Fri May 27 01:49:32 PDT 2005

Hi Roland,

First off: tnx for your reply!

> I haven't tried burning DVDs with the ATA driver. The manual page for
> growisofs says that you should use SCSI devices on OpenBSD and NetBSD,
> but it doesn't mention FreeBSD.

Hmmm, one would guess FreeBSD not to be very different in that respect.
Speed is not really a concern for me, but potential data corruption is.
I just read something about someone having had issues with an ATA DVD
drive, due to digital line-noise on the regular low cost 40-pin ATA
cable. Using an 80-pin one apparently solved it. Makes sense.

>>I will use an Adaptec 2200S U320 RAID controller for the harddrives, so
>>perhaps an ATA interface would be easier to configure indepenently of
>>another SCSI device (then again: maybe not). Any advice in that respect?
>

> I don't think having CAM in the kernel will make it more difficult.

If possible, I'll try to use the generic kernel. AFAIK that covers the
2200S. What I'm wondering about is the following: would it be possible
to use the 2200S as a regular controller for a SCSI DVD rewriter, in
combination with it running 4 drives in RAID 10 mode?
The controller has two U320 channels and allows up to 30 devices to be
connected to it. However, I'm not certain that is assuming RAID only
set-ups or whether that also allows regular SCSI devices to be attached
to it...

Does anyone have any experience using such a combination?

More generally: does anyone have any experiences in using the 2200S
under FreeBSD? Typically enough on Adaptec's site FreeBSD is not
mentioned in the list of supported OSes (surprise, surprise...).
However, on FreeBSD's list(s) of supported hardware it is mentioned
(besides: I currently use the 2100S successfully under FreeBSD 5.2.1,
whereas Adaptec's list only mentions the 4.11 version).

>>Can someone perhaps let me know what most closely matches such an interface?
>

> The growisofs program from the dvd+rw-tools package is the program that
> does the actual burning. This is probably what you want. Things like k3b
> and gcombust et al are just front-ends.

Tnx!
I'll make sure to do some RTFM-ing on those tools then.

Cheers!
Olafo