Compatible DVD burners for AMD-64 version of FreeBSD 5.4?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu May 26 12:49:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 10:26:01AM +0200, Olaf Greve wrote:
<snip>
> Actually you mention something interesting: I hadn't checked out the
> interface type. Do you know if DVD rewriters would typically be SCSI or ATA?

I haven't tried burning DVDs with the ATA driver. The manual page for
growisofs says that you should use SCSI devices on OpenBSD and NetBSD,
but it doesn't mention FreeBSD.

> I will use an Adaptec 2200S U320 RAID controller for the harddrives, so
> perhaps an ATA interface would be easier to configure indepenently of
> another SCSI device (then again: maybe not). Any advice in that respect?

I don't think having CAM in the kernel will make it more difficult.

<snip>
> It'll be the first time I'll be using a DVD burner under FreeBSD, so I
> still do not know which software best to use. The intended use for it is
> to have my (cron scheduled) back-up script write the back-up to DVD
> periodically (as well as being able to do this manually). I do not
> intend to put KDE/Gnome on the machine, so as far as I'm concerned no
> fancy interfaces are required. In fact: I'd rather have a text based
> interface, e.g. like sysinstall.
>
> Can someone perhaps let me know what most closely matches such an interface?

The growisofs program from the dvd+rw-tools package is the program that
does the actual burning. This is probably what you want. Things like k3b
and gcombust et al are just front-ends.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.