READ_DMA errors preventing installation

Richard McCoy keyser456 at verizon.net
Wed May 25 18:37:09 PDT 2005

Hey everyone.  I'm trying to start my fbsd experience and things aren't
going so hot.  I spent the entire day trying to get this to work, but to no
avail:

I tried two different fbsd versions (5.4 and 4.11), two different mobos
(gigabyte ga-7n400 pro2, and another gigabyte mobo for amd-64, I don't know
the model #), as well as three (!!!) different Maxtor IDE hard drives (60,
80, and 100 gb).  The cds boot fine, but after I partition the hd (tried
manual and auto settings) choose my packages and try to install, I
immediately get an error, something to the effect of:

ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>

I know at least the 100 gb hd is working great, and I suspect both the
others are working properly.  The only thing I can think of is it's a
conflict with something on these Gigabyte mobos, like the ide controller,
but I can't find anything that pans out into a solution anywhere on google.
Is there a BIOS setting I need to enable/disable or what's the deal?  FWIW I
can't get any versions of Linux to work either (tried Red Hat 9.0 and
Slackware umm. 10.1 I think, all with similar errors), but Windows XP works
on both mobo setups.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.