mod_auth_pam apache pam

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim ihsan at synthexp.net
Wed May 25 11:22:12 PDT 2005

Hexren wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to authentificate user against the system user database
> using mod_auth_pam-1.1.1 on apache-1.3.33_1.
>
> I get the following error in the apache error.log
> "(2)No such file or directory: access to /www.xxx.net/ failed for 217.228.101.117, reason: authentication error"
>
> /etc/pam.d/httpd
> #cat /etc/pam.d/httpd
> auth       required   pam_unix.so debug
> account    required   pam_unix.so debug
>
> the relevant Directory directive from httpd.conf
>   <Directory /var/www/webalizer/www.xxx.net>
>         AuthPAM_Enabled on
>         AllowOverride None
>         AuthName "Web Statistics xxx"
>         AuthType "basic"
>         require group test
>    </Directory>
>
> imho the error has some connection to pam_unix.so, that is because
> pam_permit.so works as it should (it permits everything).
> Strangely no error shows up in my system message log. (where I log *.debug level
> messages) despite the debug flag in /etc/pam.d/httpd.

I've encountered the problem as well and have lived without it since; if
I recalled correctly from a previous reply on this list, pam_unix.so
uses getpwnam () to fetch the password information. It will only return
the password if the calling process has an UID of 0 (root). Since your
apache is running as user www, that should explain why the
authentication failed.

The only workaround is to have your apache runs as root or use a
different authentication back-end.

--
Thank you for your time,
Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim,