mod_auth_pam apache pam

Hexren me at hexren.net
Wed May 25 08:50:27 PDT 2005

Hi,
I am trying to authentificate user against the system user database
using mod_auth_pam-1.1.1 on apache-1.3.33_1.

I get the following error in the apache error.log
"(2)No such file or directory: access to /www.xxx.net/ failed for 217.228.101.117, reason: authentication error"

/etc/pam.d/httpd
#cat /etc/pam.d/httpd
auth       required   pam_unix.so debug
account    required   pam_unix.so debug

the relevant Directory directive from httpd.conf
  <Directory /var/www/webalizer/www.xxx.net>
        AuthPAM_Enabled on
        AllowOverride None
        AuthName "Web Statistics xxx"
        AuthType "basic"
        require group test
   </Directory>

imho the error has some connection to pam_unix.so, that is because
pam_permit.so works as it should (it permits everything).
Strangely no error shows up in my system message log. (where I log *.debug level
messages) despite the debug flag in /etc/pam.d/httpd.

After googling for a while and reading here and there I tried making
master.passd readable to the apache user (www) because some people
reported that they needed to do that with /etc/shadow on some linux
variants.

Somebody has an idea what I should test next or how I can solve my
problem ?

Kind Regards
Hexren