FreeBSD 5.3 Boot issues - reposted

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sat May 21 08:31:14 PDT 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 03:42,  the author Thomas Hurst contributed to the
dialogue on Re: FreeBSD 5.3 Boot issues - reposted:
& * Vizion (vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com) wrote:
&
& > This system has been built in a mini ATX case and has a Proxim Harmony
& > 802.11a Model 8150 PCI card on (I am on a boat - then intention is to
& > be able to disconnect it from the ships network, lug it to a position
& > in range of a wireless network and do a portupgrade as the need arises
& > <chuckles>). Is this card recognized by freebsd. Is there a suitable
& > driver? How do I set it up?
&
& Looks like it's based on the Prism2 chipset, which should be supported
& by the wi(4) driver (man wi).  kldload if_wi and see if it's detected,
& and follow the examples in the driver manpage to set it up.
&
& > 2. Uhicio [GIANT LOCKED] What does this mean?
&
& It means the uhci (USB Host Controller) driver isn't multi-processor
& safe, and thus needs to grab the Big Giant Lock around the kernel when
& it's doing stuff to operate safely.  Don't worry about it; if you really
& want to get rid of it, it looks like it's been made MPSAFE in 5.4.
&
& > 3. (da1:umass-sim0:0:0:1): Unretryable error
& > What is the significance if any of these lines?
&
& USB mass storage devices use the SCSI Direct Access (da) driver. You
& don't have any memory cards in your card reader, so attempts to read
& from them to determine the size of the "disks" are producing an
& unretryable error.  Again, this is normal.
&
& > 4. I want to use energy saving (mainly to protect the drive from
& > unnecessary risk of damage in rough weather) to turn off the hard
& > drive when access is not required. How do I do that?
&
& Look at sysutils/ataidle.  Taking measures to avoid unnecessary disk
& access is left as an exercise for the reader ;)
&
Thankl you very much for a very helpful posting
David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May bound for Europe via Panama Canal.