FreeBSD 5.3 Boot issues - reposted

Thomas Hurst tom.hurst at clara.net
Sat May 21 03:42:48 PDT 2005

* Vizion (vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com) wrote:

> This system has been built in a mini ATX case and has a Proxim Harmony
> 802.11a Model 8150 PCI card on (I am on a boat - then intention is to
> be able to disconnect it from the ships network, lug it to a position
> in range of a wireless network and do a portupgrade as the need arises
> <chuckles>). Is this card recognized by freebsd. Is there a suitable
> driver? How do I set it up?

Looks like it's based on the Prism2 chipset, which should be supported
by the wi(4) driver (man wi).  kldload if_wi and see if it's detected,
and follow the examples in the driver manpage to set it up.

> 2. Uhicio [GIANT LOCKED] What does this mean?

It means the uhci (USB Host Controller) driver isn't multi-processor
safe, and thus needs to grab the Big Giant Lock around the kernel when
it's doing stuff to operate safely.  Don't worry about it; if you really
want to get rid of it, it looks like it's been made MPSAFE in 5.4.

> 3. (da1:umass-sim0:0:0:1): Unretryable error
> What is the significance if any of these lines?

USB mass storage devices use the SCSI Direct Access (da) driver. You
don't have any memory cards in your card reader, so attempts to read
from them to determine the size of the "disks" are producing an
unretryable error.  Again, this is normal.

> 4. I want to use energy saving (mainly to protect the drive from
> unnecessary risk of damage in rough weather) to turn off the hard
> drive when access is not required. How do I do that?

Look at sysutils/ataidle.  Taking measures to avoid unnecessary disk
access is left as an exercise for the reader ;)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/