Can't run natd after upgrade to 5.4

Wisut Ponpattana acharn_666 at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 00:57:54 PDT 2005

>From: Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com>
>To: Wisut Ponpattana <acharn_666 at hotmail.com>
>CC: questions at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Can't run natd after upgrade to 5.4
>Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 00:23:40 -0400 (EDT)
>
>On Fri, 20 May 2005, Wisut Ponpattana wrote:
>
>>Look back at my configuration file. Sure enough, at the bottom are
>>options IPFIREWALL
>>options IPDIVERT
>
>How about /etc/rc.conf?
>firewall_enable="YES"
>firewall_logging="YES"           # Set to YES to enable events logging
>firewall_quiet="NO"
>firewall_type="simple"           #Whatever type you have been using..
>gateway_enable="YES"             # IF this machine will be a gateway
>natd_enable="YES"               # Enable natd (if firewall_enable == YES).
>natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"  # Set rules file for the NAT daemon
>natd_interface="ed0"            # Public/external interface or IPaddress to
>use.
>network_interfaces="fxp0 ed0 lo0"
>
>replace natd_interface with whatever your public interface is..
>Also I spent nearly 2 days tracking down some problems.. and they got fixed
>after adding the network_interfaces... It seems the code to automatically
>detect the cards doesn/wasn't working..

Thanks for the response. I tracked my mistake down. Working from memory, I
used the command:
"make buildkernel KERNCONFIG=KEPLER". When I looked in the Makefile I
discovered it should have been KERNCONF! So make naturally made the default
GENERIC, which doesn't support networking (or at least not the firewall and
divert). So I'm rebuilding the kernel and shouldn't have any more problems
(at least I haven't with this part of it for years). Well, they say the
three symptoms of aging are loss of memory and I forget the other.