How to use snapshots

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Tue May 17 19:35:02 PDT 2005

> You really confused me now.

:-(

> Are you saying ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/  is
> a CVS server????

Errrmmmm ...

> I think you are still talking about the normal cvsup source update
> method which targets a bunch of different cvsup servers.

Near as I understand, cvsup is one way to get to a snapshot. (If that's
wrong, someone correct me.)

> ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/pub/FreeBSD/i386/
> does not look like an cvs server.

Looks like a 550 error to me.

> Have you ever used this snapshots ftp site before????

No, I tend to use one of the Japanese cvsup servers. (I don't do binary
upgrades, because I read somewhere that source upgrades are recommended.)

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that you can do source upgrades to
the snapshots by using appropriate tags. Gave it about a half hour, but
couldn't find it again. So I can't tell you what those tags would look
like, but I have the vague impression that RELENG_5 would be equivalent
to the snapshot at the time of the cvsup.

Have you tried, for instance, running sysinstall from the command line
(as root) and selecting the Upgrade option? Did you read the
documentation that refers you to?

BTW, did you have problems finding the documentation that directs you to?
You should probably go ahead and load those docs if they aren't there.

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム