How to use snapshots

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue May 17 05:28:48 PDT 2005

> > ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/
>
> I know how to use the normal FTP mirror site to fetch the .iso
file
> and burn a bootable cdrom  or use cvs to build the sources to
> recompile the complete system.

Then you should, as nearly as I understand it, know how to install
or
upgrade to a snapshot. Try re-reading

    19.2.2 Staying Stable with FreeBSD

Or were you wondering which tag to pick up. Take a look at sections
A.5
and A.6.

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.htm
l>
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.
html>

I used cvsup, and I think I used the tag RELENG_5 to get the most
recent
stable at that point. The steps for buildworld were straightforward,
though I had plenty of time to do other things while waiting. I used
portupgrade, which is linked somewhere in those pages, to bring the
ports up to the current kernel and userland after that also took a
fair
amount of time. (Days, in fact.)

And I did have to read those pages and several others they reference
several times while I was following the instructions to get a good
idea
of what was happening.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

You really confused me now.
Are you saying ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/  is
a CVS server????

I think you are still talking about the normal cvsup source update
method which targets a bunch of different cvsup servers.

ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/pub/FreeBSD/i386/
does not look like an cvs server.

Have you ever used this snapshots ftp site before????