tetex, latex, dvips

Florian Hengstberger e0025265 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 16 14:11:28 PDT 2005

Hi!

Why do latex and tetex conflict?
Firstly I installed latex but couldnt find the koma package
but all tools (dvips, xdvi ...).
So I removed latex and installed tetex-base and tetex-texmf.
Koma works fine, but I can only produce pdf with pdflatex.
dvips is not present and xdvi tells me that there are a lot of
fonts missing! When I try to install dvips I get the following
message:

===>  Installing for dvips-5.76

===>  dvips-5.76 conflicts with installed package(s):
      teTeX-base-2.0.2_2
      teTeX-texmf-2.0.2

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/dvips.

How can a tex distribution conflict with and dvi to ps
converter???
Am I doing something completly wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Florian