5.4 install disc1 will not find hard drive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun May 15 17:07:40 PDT 2005

PR i386/81082

Once again, I don't think the problem is in the build process they used
for making the ISO.  As a matter of fact I just yesterday did a 5.4
install
on a system, booting from CD, which I burned from disc1.iso that I
downloaded
from one of the FTP mirrors, on the one machine I mentioned in the PR
that didn't have a problem.

I think the problem is in the driver.  If you go to the CVS tree it
is obvious that they have been dealing with these issues. For example,
check out comments like "Fix more ATAPI breakage. Apparently some devices
are very picky on details :)" made just 2 days ago, see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ata/

You also might consider that according to the device driver output your
running
a 40pin non-UDMA cable on what looks like a UDMA drive, which is a
no-no, it might simply be a cabling issue with bad cables in your system.
If you really do have an 80 pin cable then try exchanging it with another
one, and remember, the blue connector goes to the adapter card, the black
connector to the drive, and the grey to the secondary drive, if there is
one.

I don't have any more pull getting PR's worked on, but I have found
that if they are properly filed then they get worked on faster.  For
example,
the PR system isn't an appropriate place for complaining that a mirror
site
is missing miniinst.iso file - you should contact the mirror
administrator
of the mirror in question, directly.  And you might also consider that
there
is a 20MB file named 5.4-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso in the release
directory -
see for example:

ftp://ftp13.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.4/

and that there IS NOT a miniinst.iso file in the master FTP location,
see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.4/

I would guess maybe they renamed it?

Also, you cannot assume a mirror site is going to have a good copy of
stable
anyway.  You can only assume mirrors are going to be accurate for
RELEASES,
as there's always propagation time from when changes are made.  If your
traking snapshots you should be using
ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/

Ted

Ted