5.4 install disc1 will not find hard drive

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Sun May 15 18:39:14 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Ted
Mittelstaedt
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:07 PM
To: fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com; freebsd-questions at FreeBSD. ORG
Cc: stable at freebsd.org
Subject: RE: 5.4 install disc1 will not find hard drive

You also might consider that according to the device driver output
your
running a 40pin non-UDMA cable on what looks like a UDMA drive,
which is a
no-no, it might simply be a cabling issue with bad cables in your
system.
If you really do have an 80 pin cable then try exchanging it with
another
one, and remember, the blue connector goes to the adapter card, the
black
connector to the drive, and the grey to the secondary drive, if
there is
one.

You can only assume mirrors are going to be accurate for RELEASES,
as there's always propagation time from when changes are made.  If
your
traking snapshots you should be using
ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/

Ted

There is a  80 pin cable and its good because I tested it in another
pc.

But your comments about snapshots is very interesting. I did not
know about this.
I checked the contents at the URL you posted. It looks like an
install cd layout.
Is there some command, script, or utility that will download and
burn a cd from a snapshot?
Is there any documentation on these snapshots and how to use one?