setup 5.4 NFS install server?

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Sat May 14 13:49:11 PDT 2005

In article <44oebd7wm6.fsf at be-well.ilk.org> you write:
>Steve Rikli <sr at genyosha.net> writes:
>
>> With 5.4, I dumped -disc1 onto the NFS server, but was prompted for
>> the next disc to get perl package(s?).  So I dumped -disc2 into the
>> same place on the NFS server, but sysinstall continued to prompt for
>> the next disc on subsequent attempts.
>>
>> I'm thinking I must not be getting (parts of?) -disc2 into the right
>> place, and/or need to update a table-of-contents file, or something
>> equally simple.
>
>The easiest answer that occurred to me:
>
>   Copy the packages/ directories from both disks to the same place,
>   mount it on the target machines, point PKG_PATH at it, and use
>   pkg_add(1) from the command line.

I'm not sure I follow you -- I'm trying to figure out how to setup the
NFS server's FreeBSD-5.4 repository such that sysinstall doesn't prompt
for additional discs.  The situation I described happens during a new
installation from scratch, using NFS as the media.  Adding packages
after the system has already been installed is not a problem.

When performing the from-scratch install, I've selected (A)ll as the
distributions to be installed, and hit "Commit"; the installation
then proceeds as usual (e.g. from 5.3 and prior), until it prompts
to insert the next disc -- I'd never seen this behavior during an
NFS install until FreeBSD-5.4 , presumably because -disc1 & -disc2
are now both required.

The sysinstall dialog box mentions perl as being on the next disc,
but I suspect it's not just perl which sysinstall wants, but any
other packages from the (A)ll distribution, which are apparently
now found on -disc2 in 5.4 .

I.e. this is not happening during any sort of interactive package
installation after the system has already been built -- I suspect
it is sysinstall telling me that the FreeBSD bits from -disc2 are
not being found in the NFS server's FreeBSD repository I setup.

I'm asking how to get everything from -disc1 & -disc2 into the
same/right place on the NFS server such that sysinstall doesn't
prompt me to change "discs" anymore.

Or, if there's a completely different/better way (e.g. not using
the -disc1 & -disc2 CDs at all) to build a FreeBSD-5.4 repository
suitable for NFS installation purposes, that would also be welcome.

Hopefully that clarifies what I'm after.

Thanks,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli              ||| We are all faced with a series of great ||
|| Systems Administrator    ||| opportunities brilliantly disguised as  ||