Replacing hdd in multiboot system

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat May 14 06:02:19 PDT 2005

Kenneth W Cochran <kwc at TheWorld.com> writes:

> 1.  Can I boot MS-DOS from da0 and FreeBSD from da1 using boot
>     managers available with FreeBSD?  If so, how do I configure
>     that?  (In other words, replace LILO on da0.)

Sure.  How you do it depends on which boot manager you use.  With the
standard one that can be installed from sysinstall, there's nothing to
configure once it's on the primary disk.

> 2.  FreeBSD's boot "remembers" what was last booted & uses that;
>     how do I configure a "default" booting OS?

Use another bootloader.  There are several popular ones in the ports
collection.

> 3.  I might replace that old dpt HBA with, say, an Adaptec or a
>     Symbios-based Tekram; will that affect things such as drive
>     geometries?

I don't think so.

> 4.  Anything I might be missing here?  Common overlooked issues?
>     Warnings?  Gotchas?

You're planning a new install, alone on a new disk, so it's pretty
"vanilla" and pretty safe.