Sound card support

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu May 12 00:19:15 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 03:06:12AM -0400, Ionel wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an Yamaha OPL3SA2 sound card, isa-pnp.
> I had last year installed FreeBSD 5.2.1, and my sound card was supported, I had to add "device pcm" in the kernel configuration file.
> Now I installed FreeBSD 5.4, and I can't make my sound card to work.
> "device pcm" is unrecognised, "device sound" doesn't see my card,
> and Opl3sa2 is not on the hardware list.
> Question:
> Is there a way by which I can make my sound card work, or should I revert to FreeBSD 5.2.1 ?
> In this second case... are the FreeBSD ports packages still kept on the ftp sites ?

If it worked on 5.2.1 it should still work - I don't think any audio
drivers have been removed since then.
You probably need to add some specific sound driver in addition to 'device
sound'
Try using kldload to load each of the snd_* kernel modules and see which
one recognises your sound card - then you can add that device to your
kernel config.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson