using 5-STABLE packages with 5.4 RELEASE

Nekdo Nekje umeglic at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:00:08 PDT 2005

Hey all..

I have a sort of question regarding FreeBSD and its port system.
Please do bear with me, since I'm a newbie in the whole *nix world,
especially with BSD like systems.

My question is... Is it possible to use the latest Samba package with
the 5.4-RELEASE? Is it absolutely necessary to upgrade the RELEASE
distibution to -STABLE for that to work? Is using a package from the
STABLE ports tree with the RELEASE system an insane thing to do?

A quote from the FreeBSD HandBook: "pkg_add(1) will download the
latest version of your application if you are using FreeBSD-CURRENT or
FreeBSD-STABLE. If you run a -RELEASE version, it will grab the
version of the package that was built with your release. It is
possible to change this behavior by overriding the PACKAGESITE
environment variable"

So, my guess is it can be done or am I wrong?

I wanna use  release version for my production servers, but in the
same time I would like to use the latest available Samba package for
FreeBSD. Is this doable??

Thanks for your time...

Best regards,
Uros