a question

Harry harry at kaeptn.de
Mon May 9 17:26:05 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 10. Mai 2005 01:54 schrieb Ricardo:
> Hi everyone, my name is Ricardo and i'm new to FreeBSD and a novice in
> the world of Unix-like OS's. My question is: do i have to download the 3
> .iso images to install the system(for exemple: do i have to dowload the
> bootonlydisk iso)?

For base system installation you have to download disk1 which now (starting
with the 5.4-RELEASE) includes the fixit-CD.
If you want to do a very lean installation over the network (ftp, http, NFS
or AFS) you can download the boot-only iso. That's just for booting the
FreeBSD installation routine, every tarball has to be downloaded vi
network (or copied from another filesystem within the installer).

Formerly there was a mini-inst.iso which was only the installer with the
base system without any packages, I haven't investigated the new layout,
so I guess that disc one has the fixit (live filesystem) and some packages
in addition to the mini-inst.iso

-Mano