Group Rights in FreeBSD 5.3

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Mon May 9 14:01:48 PDT 2005

Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 22:55 schrieb Dixit, Viraj:
> Hi,
>
> I need a question answered. In the FreeBSD 5.3 OS system, I have just
> created a new group called "backup" and I have added one user to this
> group called backup. What I am looking for is what is the command to
> limit this group called "backup" to only reading and downloading files
> but not from writing and deleting files on my system. Can groups be set

Make sure directories are xrwr-x--x (751) and group is backup. Now inside
this directory they can read anything but can't write/delete files.
Make sure you have the root directory (which they can access) also set to
these permissions, default is 755, so independent of the group everybody
can read almost all. Of yourse user mustn't be the one which is in group
backup!

-Harry