5-CURRENT amd64 performance versus i386 performance on same HW

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun May 8 21:41:47 PDT 2005

I was wondering if anyone has done performance tests, especially
network and disk IO tests on an opteron system, or preferably a dual
opteron system, using the 5-CURRENT or similar codebase for both the
amd64 release as well as the i386 release.  I am wondering how the
amd64 codebase compares to the i386 codebase on identical HW.  This
is for a server type use.

I have a single processor opteron that will be put into use as a
firewall[PF]/router/vpn-gateway for a bunch of other internet servers
and was wondering whether to go with the amd64 or the i386 versions
of FreeBSD.  My other opteron (dual) is running i386 version as I had
some linux and java needs which at the time I put it into service,
was not readily available on amd64 (which may have changed by now).

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC