Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat May 7 19:31:18 PDT 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim writes:
>
>> Dilemma...how do I get permission to quote you to reply to you?
>
> You can e-mail me and ask.  However, backquoting of portions of a
> message generally falls within the scope of fair use, IMO (IANAL).

Nope, because that assumes I have permission to quote ahead of time and
I'd have an archive in my sent mail (and trash items) for a period of
time that you didn't explicitly allow.  Chicken and the egg.  You
should make a form available for printing and mailing back to you on
your website to explicitly allow people to sign (in the presence of a
witness) and mail in to ask for permission on a per-mail basis so as to
allow proper archiving in my sent and trash items as well as quoting
relevant materials.  Otherwise, I'm screwed legally because I'd be
violating your IP rights and copyright.