Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 7 10:42:21 PDT 2005

Chris Hodgins writes:

> This keeps coming up time and time again.  Why don't we simply put up
> a message on the subscription page that says if you subscribe you
> agree that your messages will be archived for public viewing.  End of
> story.  No more bitchy emails on this subject, no more heated debates
> and much more time devoted to talking about FreeBSD.

I agree.  The text should be reviewed by a lawyer, and the subscription
process must be designed such that it is impossible to subscribe without
explicitly accepting the conditions (by clicking a box, or something).

Note that this will apply only to new subscribers, not existing
subscribers, for whom the problem remains.  Also, you must make it clear
in the conditions whether or not posts will be archived even after a
member of the list unsubscribes.

--
Anthony