Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 7 10:39:29 PDT 2005

Chris writes:

> ... in order for someone to "claim" a violation of copyright, it MUST
> be registered with the copyright office (at least here in the States).

For civil procedures involving works of U.S. origin, yes. But you don't
have to register way in advance, you only have to register before the
suit is filed.

> In your postings Anthony, you touch on everything before that very
> important point, AND after. You never once mention the fact that a
> person NEEDS to take that one extra step.

All of this is irrelevant to the fact that posts are copyrighted by
their authors, with or without registration.

> So, in my view - this makes the whole issue (and thread) pointless
> unless someone has taken that one, last step.

You're saying that you ignore the law unless someone forces you to obey
it.  Infringement of copyrights that are unregistered is just as real as
infringement of copyrights that are registered. It is just as dishonest,
illegal, and unethical.

> There is simply no point in arguing this UNLESS you can PROVE that you
> have filed the paperwork to actually allow you to force the law to
> look into copyright infringement.

For those of us with ethics and conscience, registration is irrelevant.
We do not refrain from infringement out of fear of prosecution, we
refrain because infringement is wrong.

> End of discussion. Now - for those that are bitching that they feel they
> have been violated, PROVE to us that YOU filed for the copyright, else -
> get a life or remove yourself from the list.

Be careful what you write. It looks like you're saying that you're aware
of the infringement and acknowledge it, but you just don't care, which
makes the infingement willful and malicious. You're essentially saying
"I'll do what I want, and if you don't like it, come and get me," which
can be very unpleasant if someone takes you up on the offer.

--
Anthony