Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat May 7 06:41:21 PDT 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Marc Fonvieille writes:
>

>>All, and I said "All", mailing list subscribing forms mention their
>>archives ("To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit
>>the freebsd-blahblah Archives.").  It is impossible to miss it.
>

> Then why do so many forms require that you tick a checkbox to assert
> that you've read and accepted the terms on the page?
>
> In any case, nothing like that exists for FreeBSD lists.

Anthony,

	As I mentioned (and clearly corrected myself too),
While it's true that there is an implyied copyright on the writtings, as
 I posted in my correction, and in the URL I posted too - in order for
someone to "claim" a violation of copyright, it MUST be registered with
the copyright office (at least here in the States). Once that is public
record (the official filling) THEN, and only then, the person has the
right to make a claim against a copyright violation.

	In your postings Anthony, you touch on everything before that very
important point, AND after. You never once mention the fact that a
person NEEDS to take that one extra step.

	So, in my view - this makes the whole issue (and thread) pointless
unless someone has taken that one, last step.

	Now - this thread needs to end, or be moved to the proper list.
There is simply no point in arguing this UNLESS you can PROVE that you
have filed the paperwork to actually allow you to force the law to look
into copyright infringement.

So - allow me to quote one last time why you MUST file it.

"Registration and the Copyright Process
The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently
misunderstood. Copyright is secured automatically when the work is
created. A work is "created" when it is fixed into a book, tape or
electronic medium for the first time. Thus, for example, a song can be
fixed in sheet music or in a digital tape, or both. No publication,
registration or other action in the U.S. Copyright Office is required to
secure copyright. However, in order to enforce the copyright and for
many other practical reasons, it will be necessary to register the
copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office.

Some of the advantages of registering a copyright are the following:

    * Registration establishes a public record of the copyright claim.
    * Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration is
necessary for works of U. S. origin.
    * If made before or within 5 years of publication, registration
establishes sufficient evidence in court concerning the validity of the
copyright and the facts stated in the copyright certificate.
    * If registration is made within 3 months after publication of the
work or prior to an infringement of the work, statutory damages and
attorney's fees will be available to the copyright owner in court
actions. Otherwise, only an award of actual damages and profits is
available to the copyright owner.
    * Registration allows the owner of the copyright to record the
registration with the U.S. Customs Service for protection against the
importation of infringing copies."

http://www.legalzoom.com/law_library/copyrights/registration.html

End of discussion. Now - for those that are bitching that they feel they
have been violated, PROVE to us that YOU filed for the copyright, else -
get a life or remove yourself from the list.

Over and out

--
Best regards,
Chris