Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Fri May 6 18:00:23 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:42:29PM +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim writes:
> > It's certainly no secret that these posts are archived out there ...
>
> It doesn't have to be a secret; subscribers must still agree to it.
>
> It's no secret that software is copyrighted; however, software companies
> still force users to accept a EULA so that they cannot claim that they
> didn't know they were licensing copyrighted material.
>
> It's no secret that most computer systems are not open to everyone;
> however, sysadmins (at least those who know what they are doing) still
> must put messages in login procedures that advise users of the
> restricted character of access to the system.  Otherwise intruders could
> say that they didn't know access was restricted.

In my country forcing you way in to a computer system is a criminal act.
It can be compared to breaking in to a house.

> > Better yet start
> > some arguments with the governments and businesses that are video
> > taping people with security cameras on street corners and inside
> > stores.
>
> Many jurisdictions require that persons on private property be apprised
> of any video recording, precisely because of the privacy implications.
> Persons attending a concert that is being videotaped also must be
> apprised of this on their tickets; their consent to recording cannot
> necessarily be presumed.

Here there are even rules about recording on the street. The (security)
camera's can't be pointed to a house in sucha way that it would single
out anyone inside. Also anyone recorded on the street have rigth that
they can use to prevent them being on TV. It not used very much, but it
exist.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/