Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 6 18:08:16 PDT 2005

Alex de Kruijff writes:

> In my country forcing you way in to a computer system is a criminal act.
> It can be compared to breaking in to a house.

It is in most countries.  However, persons prosecuted for such crimes
have mounted successful defenses based on the fact that they were never
explicitly told that the systems they penetrated were legally accessible
only to authorized users.  Thus, careful sysadmins today explicitly
display a message at login telling the user that only authorized users
are permitted to access the system.  Many operating systems even make
special provisions for this.

> Here there are even rules about recording on the street. The (security)
> camera's can't be pointed to a house in sucha way that it would single
> out anyone inside. Also anyone recorded on the street have rigth that
> they can use to prevent them being on TV. It not used very much, but it
> exist.

Those are image rights, as opposed to photography rights.  In many
jurisdictions, there are no restrictions on photography in public, but
you may still need property or model releases before actually using the
images taken in public for certain purposes.

--
Anthony