mail/sendmail submit question

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue May 3 10:33:36 PDT 2005

Hi

I am trying to allow mail submission and sending on a 5.3-RELEASE box
from inside a jail, but not a running MTA...

I have the following in the rc.conf

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail
submission
sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail
(YES/NO).

Since you cannot bind to localhost only in a jail I have that set to
NO.  The /etc/mail/README file says to change the freebsd.submit.mc
file and remake things so that it submits to another host.  I have
done that by doing the "Change the FEATURE(msp) line to FEATURE(msp,
hostname) where hostname is the fully qualified hostname of the
alternative host." and then "'make install-submit-cf' in /etc/mail/".

When I try to do a mail on the command line, I get:

root at machine:/home/chad# can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/):
Permission denied
Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.

Where do I set this TrustedUser and how do I make the mail program
work as a TrustedUser?

I grepped TrustedUser in /etc/mail/* and got

freebsd.cf:#O TrustedUser=root
freebsd.submit.cf:O TrustedUser=smmsp
machine.com.submit.cf:O TrustedUser=smmsp
sendmail.cf:#O TrustedUser=root
submit.cf:O TrustedUser=smmsp

so it seems to be set to smmsp which is a valid user in the password
file.

Thanks for any help or pointers on getting this to work.

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC