more problems with 5.3 and "TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA"

Thomas Foster tbonius at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 13:31:43 PST 2005

I had this same issue on an older AMD Nforce board.  5.2.1 seemed to install
and run.. but moving to 5.3 gave me issues.  I tinkered with the DMA
settings in the BIOS.. to no avail.  The Geometry seemed to be off on the
drive I noticed (IBM deskstar) when I newfs'd it.. so I changed out drives..
but never got it working..  I eventually just dropped Gentoo on it.

What chipset, drive controller hard drive are you using on this system?