Kylix or libborqt

John john at starfire.mn.org
Thu Mar 17 07:41:00 PST 2005

Hey, folks!

At long last, I have found an Open Source data modelling tool!  It
is DBDesigner by fabFORCE.net (http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/)
and it is pretty nice.  I was able to connect to my MySQL database
and suck in the entire schema!  It didn't do the full E-R diagram
because there wasn't enough information in the DD/DL, but it was
a HUGE start.  Unfortunately, I know that from running it under
Windoze!!!!

My problem is that, of course, it is only compiled for MS-Windows
and Linux.  That's OK, I have Linux compatibility installed so that
I can run acroread.  What makes matters worse is that it was built
using something called Kylix by Borland (http://www.borland.com/kylix/).
As such, it depends on a library called libborqt-6.9-qt2.3.so.

I'm pretty much a newbie to Linux applications on FreeBSD.  I got
acroread running because the packages did everything for me.  So...
1) Do I need a Linux libborqt-6.9-qt2.3.so, or a FreeBSD one?
2) Should I forget trying to run the darn thing in Linux mode
   and try to port it to FreeBSD, since it is open source?
The biggest problem with porting it would probably be Kylix
itself, which, while GPL, I haven't found the source.  It must
be quit extensive, because the download is 90.7 Mb and includes
two high-performance C++ compilers.  The Windows version came with
whatever DLLs it needed, so I suspect you don't really have to
go THAT far.

I could use some advice, here.  My goal is to get my database application
up and running with some new features, and it has grown to the point
that having a data modelling tool would be a tremendous help.  On
the other hand, I HATE having to use Windows to do it, and the irony
of using a Windows application to develop a MySQl application is
not lost on me.  I would also like to see as many native FreeBSD
ports as possible.

I am standing at a fork in the road, but this fork has MANY tines.
Anyone who can help me eliminate some of the choices, or even
CLARIFY some of the choices, would be doing me a great service.

Thank you!

--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG