connecting a FreeBSD-4.10 to Internet using DSL with static ip address

Yance Kowara yance_kowara at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 05:06:26 PST 2005

> > I have tried searching the net with FreeBSD+DSL
> but all I can read is
> > about "PPPoE" which requires a "username" and
> "password" which I don't
> > have. My DSL account is an "always on" account
> with a static IP
> > address and I guess it doesnt have a
> username/password for connection
> > to the ISP.

My DSL is always on and I get static IP, however, I do
have a user name and password. I am in Australia by
the way.

You may try getting an ADSL modem+router, not just an
ADSL modem. The router will connect to the ISP, and it
is via PPPoE...., the modem provides DHCP, then you
can connect your 4.10 to it. But then again, I do
supply username and password to the ADSL router.

Please find out from your ISP if you do get a
username+ password.