Using META and DEL keys in console

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Mar 1 17:01:09 PST 2005

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday,  1 March 2005 at 19:30:55 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>[ ... ]

>>>That doesn't sound very likely, though I haven't played around with
>>>the termcap entries.
>>
>>C-d is normally bound to delete-char, which performs forward
>>deletion.  Some people expect the DEL key to behave the same way...
>
> I get the impression that the original sender (whose attributions you
> have removed) knows Emacs fairly well.

Sorry, I normally try to leave two levels of attribution.

[On the other hand, I did CC: the original poster, and the References: headers
ought to suffice for anyone who wants to follow prior postings in the thread.]

[ ... ]
> Interestingly, I've just discovered that the DELETE key on my cursor
> keypad is bound to c-d.  So maybe that's what he was expecting.

I think so, yes.

If you map the Backspace key to DEL and the Delete key to C-d on a standard PC
101/104/whatever-key keyboard, you'll end up with something that does not
break Emacs' usage of C-h for help and retains compatibility with the behavior
that many people expect the Backspace and Delete keys to have.

--
-Chuck