Using META and DEL keys in console

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 1 16:40:16 PST 2005

On Tuesday,  1 March 2005 at 19:30:55 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>> And C-d acts as DEL.
>>
>> That doesn't sound very likely, though I haven't played around with
>> the termcap entries.
>
> C-d is normally bound to delete-char, which performs forward
> deletion.  Some people expect the DEL key to behave the same way...

I get the impression that the original sender (whose attributions you
have removed) knows Emacs fairly well.  As you know, DEL is bound to
delete-backward-char.  It seemed to me that he was saying something
else.

Interestingly, I've just discovered that the DELETE key on my cursor
keypad is bound to c-d.  So maybe that's what he was expecting.

Greg