Booting with multiple RAID1 configs

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Sat Jun 18 15:36:06 GMT 2005

On Saturday 18 June 2005 16:51:16, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Hence, the aftermath on a properly booted system:
>
> pearl# atacontrol status 1
> ar1: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY
>
> pearl# atacontrol status 0
> ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad2 ad0 status: READY
>
> pearl# df -h
>
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ar1s1a   246M   185M    41M    82%    /
> /dev/ar1s1g    38G   9.7G    26G    27%    /home
> /dev/ar1s1e    38G   3.3G    32G     9%    /usr
> /dev/ar1s1f    29G   7.9G    19G    30%    /var
> procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>
> I must add that atacontrol is such a much simpler RAID manipulation tool
> than vinum. I haven't done any redundancy checks or anything as of yet,
> but it almost seems too good to be in the base system :)

Just a hint: Try out what happens if you disconnect one drive of each of your
raid-arrays and you are rebooting the machine afterwards. I had some bad
experience in the past with dual-ataraid configurations where the ataraid
driver mixed up devices in case of an array breakage. I ended up with gmirror
which stores its raid config data on disk. This means gmirror takes care of
which disk belongs to which array. It is able to work independent of any
controller/channel to disk mapping.

Cheers
ch

--