Booting with multiple RAID1 configs

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Sat Jun 18 14:53:12 GMT 2005

> You might use loader(8) to set the root device ("rootdev"
> variable) explicitly to ar1s1a. Then you should also update
> fstab to reflect the numbering change.
> I don't know of any way to change the ata numbering scheme.
> Mainboard controllers always seem to be probed (and numbered)
> first. I think there is no way to get your original raid back
> to ar0 if you also use your mainboard controllers.

Hence, the aftermath on a properly booted system:

pearl# atacontrol status 1
ar1: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY

pearl# atacontrol status 0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad2 ad0 status: READY

pearl# df -h

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ar1s1a   246M   185M    41M    82%    /
/dev/ar1s1g    38G   9.7G    26G    27%    /home
/dev/ar1s1e    38G   3.3G    32G     9%    /usr
/dev/ar1s1f    29G   7.9G    19G    30%    /var
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc

I must add that atacontrol is such a much simpler RAID manipulation tool
than vinum. I haven't done any redundancy checks or anything as of yet,
but it almost seems too good to be in the base system :)

Steve