scanimage -L doesn't work as normal user

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Sat Jul 30 10:14:34 GMT 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, cpghost wrote:

> > Then as ordinary user:
> > $ sane-find-scanner -q
> > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
> > Scanner]) at libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0
> > $ scanimage -L
> >
> > No scanners were identified.
>
> This is normally a problem with permissions. You could set them
> to 0666 in /etc/devfs.conf, and [re]start devfs with
> # /etc/rc.d/devfs start

This was also what I thought, but I can't seem to get it right:

In my devfs.conf I have:
# Allow all users to use the scanner
perm    ugen0  0666

perm    usb    0666
perm    usb0   0666
perm    usb1   0666

But when I plugin the scanner, ugen0 and ugen0.* has permissions
crw-r--r--

sane-find-scanner doesn't show any scanners. Then I manually set
the permissions on ugen0 to give write permissions to all, and
sane-find-scanner finds the scanner, but scanimage still doesn't
work.

I would expect either both or none to work.

To investigate furhter, I ran sane-find-scanner verbose:
This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.15

searching for SCSI scanners:
checking /dev/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/scanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
searching for USB scanners:
checking /dev/uscanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/uscanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
device 0x04b8/0x0121 is not configured

that is when there is no write permissions to ugen0, setting write
permissions on ugen0 the last device line becomes

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0

Unfortunately, running scanimage verbose doesn't show anything
about probing for devices.

Thanks, Erik

GnuPG: http://www.locolomo.org/home/norgaard/norgaard.gpg.asc
pub  1024D/11D11F9E 2003-08-15 Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
     Key fingerprint = C394 81C4 D137 EEE5 39BE  82D5 3E6B FB3E 11D1 1F9E