scanimage -L doesn't work as normal user

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Fri Jul 29 19:18:14 GMT 2005

Hi,

I just bought an Epson 2480 scanner. I'm currently at trying
to make things work for ordinary users, sane-find-scanner works
for normal users, but scanimage doesn't.

Following the instruction I run as root:
# sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0
# scanimage -L
device `snapscan:libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0' is a EPSON EPSON
Scanner flatbed scanner

And I have even succesfully scanned the warranty in pnm.

Then as ordinary user:
$ sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0
$ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
detected by the sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please
read the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
manpages).

I have tried to indicate the device for scanimage but with no
result:

$ scanimage -d libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0
scanimage: open of device libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0 failed:
Invalid argument

Then I have tried to remove one of the devices and to change
libusb with snapscan which is supposedly the backend driver.

Any clues?

Thanks, Erik

GnuPG: http://www.locolomo.org/home/norgaard/norgaard.gpg.asc
pub  1024D/11D11F9E 2003-08-15 Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
     Key fingerprint = C394 81C4 D137 EEE5 39BE  82D5 3E6B FB3E 11D1 1F9E