Start telnet server help

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Jul 6 20:54:12 GMT 2005

Efren Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>  >Have you got a line indicating >inetd_enable="YES" >in your /etc/rc.conf?
> Yes it's indicated, The file rc.conf is accumulative? Because inside it
> appears the last configuration changed with the date. The line
> inetd_enable="YES" is repeated every time I made a change.

You only need it to be indicated once. Edit out all but the last
instance (although I think if you have multiple instances, only the
last one will apply).

> and $ telnet localhost works but remotely doesn't.

Have you got a  firewall somewhere in between the FBSD and Windows
box (maybe the Windows box' firewall service itself)? Or have you
tried to configure firewall services on the BSD box (in which case
you must likely create firewall rules that permit remote attachments
to your BSD-based services)?

> I tried to install telnet server because I'm sat down in a PC with
> windowsXP and I thought to connect myself to freeBSD pc to study it more
> comfortable.

You might try PuTTy, a free SSH client for Windows.

In addition to providing encryption of your login session, it's
better than Windows command line telnet in many other ways (color
control, selecting text with your mouse automatically copies text to
the clipboard, etc.). Also, you don't have to figure out how to get
telnetd working... just sshd_enable="YES" in rc.conf, and
inetd_enable="NO" ;)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348