Simple question

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 19:51:51 GMT 2005

On 7/6/05, Efren Bravo <efrenba at dhl.co.cu> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm reading a Pdf book downloaded from freeBSD.org called FreeBSD
> Handbook and there I always find this references:
>
> sendmail(8)
> sshd(8)
> /etc/inetd.conf(5)  <-Which is the meaning of those numbers
>
> Thanks

The numbers refer to what "section" of the manual it is in.

Here's a list of what the sections are

Section The human readable name
   1    User commands that may be started by everyone.
   2    System calls, that is, functions provided by the kernel.
   3    Subroutines, that is, library functions.
   4    Devices, that is, special files in the /dev directory.
   5    File format descriptions, e.g. /etc/passwd.
   6    Games, self-explanatory.
   7    Miscellaneous, e.g. macro packages, conventions.
   8    System administration tools that only root can execute.