Simple question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jul 6 19:55:26 GMT 2005

> Hi again,
>
> I'm reading a Pdf book downloaded from freeBSD.org called FreeBSD
> Handbook and there I always find this references:
>
> sendmail(8)
> sshd(8)
> /etc/inetd.conf(5)  <-Which is the meaning of those numbers

Those are the man page sections to look at for documentation.
So 'man sendmail' would get you the man (manual) text for sendmail.
Some things will show up in more than one section or have more than
one thing with a similar name.   So, you can put the section number
in the call to get the one you want, such as  'man 8 sendmail'
although with sendmail you don't really need the section number.
Putting the section number in is also a way of pointing out that
you should be looking at the man page for this item.

////jerry