Kernel question

Bryan Maynard bryan.maynard at reallm.com
Fri Jul 1 21:57:15 GMT 2005

I read through your kernel - very nice comments, thanks a lot!

I compiled the kernel and boot-up is noticably faster, thanks again!

I would like to investigate transfering all the device info from boot -v to
LATITUDE_C600.hints. I don't really know what most of the info from boot -v
means, I'd like to work on figuring it out. Maybe you could help me learn and we could
figure it out together?

Any help you could give you be greatly appreciated!

One thing of note: I don't have any sound. I've never had sound, but after booting
with the new kernel I went into KDE's control panel and tested the sound system, but
nothing came out. I didn't get any errors when it restarted the sound system so I'm
not sure what's up.

I've incuded the dmesg output from the new kernel boot in case you need to look at it
along with my current CUSTOM.hints file (maybe it'll help. . . :-?)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the new kernel, it works like a charm!

Bryan

On Friday 01 July 2005 05:58 pm, Nikolas Britton wrote:
 On 6/30/05, Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard at reallm.com> wrote:
 > I checked out the man pages you listed, thanks for the help!
 > I didn't understand everything in all of them, but they did help me firgure
 > out some more questions to ask.
 >
 > Is it possible to identify all hardware component in my system in the device.hints
 > file and if so, what would that accomplish? I am running a Dell Latitude C600.

 Do this with the kernel .hints file. it will be statically compile
 into the kernel then.
 kernel.hints = statically compiled = faster boot.
 device.hints = dynamic-ish = slower, but still faster then random probing.

 > Also, I have a custom kernel I am trying to tweak. However, when I boot from it I
 > get the following messages:
 >
 > ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
 > ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
 > ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
 > ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
 > ata1-master: timeout sending command=a1
 > ata1-master: error issueing ATAPI_IDENTIFY command
 > ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
 >
 > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
 > setrootbyname failed
 > ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
 > Root mount failed: 6
 >
 > It then asks me to manually enter a root filesystem.
 >
 > I've attached my CUSTOM kernel config. Along with my CUSTOM.hints file. I don't use
 > CUSTOM.hints, but it has hints about the "nexus" device. this device shows up when I
 > use boot-v. I'm not sure If I have it's info entered properly, maybe you could help me
 > with that.

 I've attached a kernel for you to use. Compare it to yours (and
 GENERIC) and read the comments I made in it. It should address most of
 your questions.

 > Could I use the info from a boot -v in the device.hints file? If so, how do I translate
 > the syntax. I've looked at the boot -v output before and it seems like there's enough info
 > for the device.hints file, I just don't know what it all means or how to extract it.

 You can put the boot -v info into the kernel .hints file, I think. I
 never tried to do anything like that and I'm not sure how to go about
 doing it. Or maybe thats what kenv is for... hmmm

--
Open Source: by the people, for the people.