Kernel question

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:59:00 GMT 2005

On 6/30/05, Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard at reallm.com> wrote:
> I checked out the man pages you listed, thanks for the help!
> I didn't understand everything in all of them, but they did help me firgure
> out some more questions to ask.
>
> Is it possible to identify all hardware component in my system in the device.hints
> file and if so, what would that accomplish? I am running a Dell Latitude C600.

Do this with the kernel .hints file. it will be statically compile
into the kernel then.
kernel.hints = statically compiled = faster boot.
device.hints = dynamic-ish = slower, but still faster then random probing.

> Also, I have a custom kernel I am trying to tweak. However, when I boot from it I
> get the following messages:
>
> ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
> ata1-master: timeout sending command=a1
> ata1-master: error issueing ATAPI_IDENTIFY command
> ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6
>
> It then asks me to manually enter a root filesystem.
>
> I've attached my CUSTOM kernel config. Along with my CUSTOM.hints file. I don't use
> CUSTOM.hints, but it has hints about the "nexus" device. this device shows up when I
> use boot-v. I'm not sure If I have it's info entered properly, maybe you could help me
> with that.

I've attached a kernel for you to use. Compare it to yours (and
GENERIC) and read the comments I made in it. It should address most of
your questions.

> Could I use the info from a boot -v in the device.hints file? If so, how do I translate
> the syntax. I've looked at the boot -v output before and it seems like there's enough info
> for the device.hints file, I just don't know what it all means or how to extract it.

You can put the boot -v info into the kernel .hints file, I think. I
never tried to do anything like that and I'm not sure how to go about
doing it. Or maybe thats what kenv is for... hmmm