Installing the JDK without Xorg

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:02:11 PST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:22:19 +1030, Ian Moore <imoore at picknowl.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:13, Pat Maddox wrote:
> > I built it on an Athlon XP, couple years old, and I'm going to install
> > the jdk on a Barton machine.  So it should work if I install it as a
> > package...
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Barton machine"? I've never heard of such
> a beast.
It's just a particular core for the Athlon.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1783&p=2

> > On the other hand, it's a production server, so I imagine I should
> > probably just build it from scratch, just to be safe.
> >
> You can always try the package & see if it runs without errors.
It should work, they're both Athlons.  I just wonder if there'd be any
benefit at all to building it from scratch on the production machine.
I'm not sure, really.  It's not a big deal for me to build it, time
isn't of the essence or anything.

Thanks for the thoughts.