/var is lack of space!!

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Jan 24 19:54:41 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:44:13PM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> he ccj writes:
>
> >  Thanks all of you,with your instruction,i found that it's
> >  /var/spool/clientmqueue use almost all of my disk space!!And i
> >  delete this directory,every thing is ok!
> >
> >  But which program produce those rubish?and how can i stop that
> >  program?
>
> 	That would be "sendmail".

Hmmmmmm.  That directory contains only files which represent e-mail
messages in flight.

This may not be good.

>From the information that I have, it is difficult to be precisely
certain, but I have seen this behavior when there are e-mail messages
that are too large to be delivered.

So you have really big files that are taking up a bunch of room
in /var - and so there is no room in /var/mail to deliver them.
Sendmail keeps trying, but there's no place for them to go.

So - the question is - were the undelivered messages you deleted
valuable, or were they junk mails?
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG