ntpd problems since upgrading to 5.3

John john at starfire.mn.org
Tue Jan 18 14:04:35 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:23:41AM -0600, John wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:26:16AM +0100, Christian Hiris wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:09, John wrote:
> >
> > > This is what goes into the log:
> > > Jan 17 18:04:29 pearl ntpd[838]: ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun Jan  9 10:58:59 CST 2005
> > > (1) Jan 17 18:04:29 pearl ntpd[838]: bind() fd 7, family 2, port 123, addr
> > > 0.0.0.0,in_classd=0 flags=8 fails: Address already in use
> >
> > I can reproduce this, it only happens if you try start more than one
> > ntp-daemons on the same interfaces. Better start this via rc.
> >
> > # killall ntpd
> > # /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
> > Starting ntpd.
> > # /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
> > ntpd already running? (pid=68961).
> > # /etc/rc.d/ntpd stop
> > Stopping ntpd.
>
> Thank you, Christian, but I have confirmed that ntp is not running
> before the attempt that generates that message.
>
> # ps ax | grep ntp
> # killall ntpd
> No matching processes were found
> # ntpdc -c peers
> ntpdc: read: Connection refused
>
> So, I think we can be pretty sure at this point that ntpd is NOT
> running.  Then..
>
> I can't use the script to start ntp, because the config parameters
> are to not start it, so
>
> # ntpd
>
> Boom!  I immediately get the error message that I gave above!
>
> If it were already running, I could understand, but my point is that
> I've been pretty thorough in determining that it is my first attempt
> to run it that gets this error message.
>
> I have also tried running "ntpdate" before starting ntpd, or not
> doing it.  If I do it, it works correctly, indicating that ntpd
> is not running, becuase ntpdate will fail if ntpd is running.  I
> have also NOT run ntpdate first (after a reboot) just to prove
> to myself that there's nothing "residual" it could leave that would
> make ntpd complain about this.
>
> It's very puzzling!

OK.  Get this.  I just generated a custom kernel to get rid of all
the good stuff that this laptop will never support.  It just so happens
to be a couple of days later (in CVS terms) than the one I was
running.  I decided to take a chance and just do the installkernel
rather than install the whole world.

Now ntpd works.  I didn't change any config files, DNS, or anything
else - just installed my custom kernel.  I still get an error message,
but now it simply says "no IPv6 interfaces found" and runs successfully.

Go figure.

My best guess is that my prior cvsup of 5-STABLE had something in
the kernel environment and ntpd slightly out of sync, with ntpd
being ahead of the kernel, and now, even though I didn't do an
installworld, that skew was resolved.

While rare, it is the possibility of this skew that makes me uncomfortable with cvsup - but having no better plans, I'll keep using it!

I may have to figure out how to maintain a "local release" tree that
is behind the -STABLE tree, or something.  I truly do not know what
the right answer is.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG