ntpd problems since upgrading to 5.3

John john at starfire.mn.org
Tue Jan 18 05:23:46 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:26:16AM +0100, Christian Hiris wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:09, John wrote:
>
> > This is what goes into the log:
> > Jan 17 18:04:29 pearl ntpd[838]: ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun Jan  9 10:58:59 CST 2005
> > (1) Jan 17 18:04:29 pearl ntpd[838]: bind() fd 7, family 2, port 123, addr
> > 0.0.0.0,in_classd=0 flags=8 fails: Address already in use
>
> I can reproduce this, it only happens if you try start more than one
> ntp-daemons on the same interfaces. Better start this via rc.
>
> # killall ntpd
> # /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
> Starting ntpd.
> # /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
> ntpd already running? (pid=68961).
> # /etc/rc.d/ntpd stop
> Stopping ntpd.

Thank you, Christian, but I have confirmed that ntp is not running
before the attempt that generates that message.

# ps ax | grep ntp
# killall ntpd
No matching processes were found
# ntpdc -c peers
ntpdc: read: Connection refused

So, I think we can be pretty sure at this point that ntpd is NOT
running.  Then..

I can't use the script to start ntp, because the config parameters
are to not start it, so

# ntpd

Boom!  I immediately get the error message that I gave above!

If it were already running, I could understand, but my point is that
I've been pretty thorough in determining that it is my first attempt
to run it that gets this error message.

I have also tried running "ntpdate" before starting ntpd, or not
doing it.  If I do it, it works correctly, indicating that ntpd
is not running, becuase ntpdate will fail if ntpd is running.  I
have also NOT run ntpdate first (after a reboot) just to prove
to myself that there's nothing "residual" it could leave that would
make ntpd complain about this.

It's very puzzling!
--

John Lind