Difference between CPUTYPE= in /etc/make.conf

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 12:52:51 PST 2005

On 01/18/05 11:01:32, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I have tried googling for this information, but without any concrete
> results. In the '/etc/make.conf' file, what are the advantages
> between
> using the following declaration?
>
> CPUTYPE=i686
>
> Versus
>
> CPUTYPE=p4
>
> In the above scenario, the number following the letter 'p' could be
> between one and four. Does it make a discernable difference?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gerard E. Seibert
> gerard-seibert at rcn.com
>
> "I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.'
>
> 	-- Anonymous

The 686 covers a few processors including the athlon, p4, p3?, and
maybe some others.  If you set p4 you should produce code that runs
faster on a p4 than 686 would.  Also the code might run slower or not
at all on the p3 and athlon.  SSE3 is an example of code used on a p4
not found in other 686s(I think this is still the case) that would case
the program not to run on other cpu types, but run faster on a p4.
BTW, iirc p4=pentium4 and it atleast used to be broken and droped back
to some lower setting.