How to setup DVD, CD and Floppy Drives

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Tue Jan 18 08:07:55 PST 2005

Brian John wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a DVD writer, a CD writer and a floppy drive in my PC.  Since I
> don't know what file system that a media will use until I put it in the
> drive, how do I set it up in fstab?  This is what it looks like right
> now for these devices:
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          auto    rw,noauto       0       0
> /dev/acd1               /cdrom1         auto    rw,noauto       0       0
> /dev/fd0                /floppy         auto    rw,noauto       0       0
>
> The problem is, when I click on a device, it says: "mount: exec
> mount_auto not found in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or directory
> Please check that the disk is entered correctly."
>
> Also, I am using KDE 3.3.
>
> How can I get this to work?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Brian

AFAIK, there is no mount option "auto" in FreeBSD (as opposed to linux).
You will have to specify the fstype (cd9660 or msdosfs) explicitly.

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341